YS880 Carb overflowing at top vent

brider
I parked my YS880 after last season when it operated fine, and today when I fired it up in preparation for our apocalyptic snow, the carb is blowing huge amounts of gas as it's running out of the top vent of the carb. Wouldn't that immediately indicate a float that isn't closing the float valve?

Re: YS828 Carb overflowing at top vent

brider
Correction, it's a YS828T, I think; 8 hp, track drive.

Re: YS828 Carb overflowing at top vent

Blue4life
Perhaps try tapping bottOM of float bowl to see if the needle valve will release and let float move to correct position.

If no luck drop bowl and inspect float assembly and needle. Needle can stick or get dirt behind it and cause fuel to flow out of carb overflow

Re: YS880 Carb overflowing at top vent

YamahaGenuineParts.com
Administrator
If you store your snowblower with fuel in the carb, the ethanol in fuel is corrosive and will eat away at your needle & seat, not allowing the needle to seal causing the carb to over flow...new needle & seat will fix that.
On the other hand if you have dirt in your fuel tank,... this will end up in your carb.
If dirt gets stuck between the needle and seat the fuel will not shut off...if you tap the carb with the end of a screw driver when its running you may be able to get it to stop, but you will need to pull the carb and clean carb & tank of any grit.
Good Luck !

Speedy
www.YamahaGenuineParts.com

Re: YS880 Carb overflowing at top vent

brider
So it's as simple as that? Fuel flowing out the vent comes from a float bowl that's overflowing, probably caused by a stuck float (not shutting off fuel flow) or a needle that's seating, but not closing off fuel?

I can tackle that, I assume needle and seat kits are available?

Re: YS880 Carb overflowing at top vent

YamahaGenuineParts.com
Administrator
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/yamahagenuineparts/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=yamahaope&a=185&b=5&c=0&d=1900%20YS828TM%20AIR%20FILTER%20-%20CARBURETOR

Needle is # 13
The needle seat is pressed into the carb and not sold seperately.
Hope this helps clarify

Speedy