YS828 governor linkage

Old_fart
I just re-cleaned the carb on my 828 after sitting for 2 yrs, and it runs great now EXCEPT UNDER LOAD.

I think I did not hook up the linkage from the carb to the governor arm correctly. Referring to the image below which was taken from a post on this site, MY linkage is attached to the LOWER hole as indicated by the red dashed line. It was a coin toss which hole to use when I installed it, and it runs like I got it wrong. Can someone please confirm it should go to the top hole like the image shows, and also WHERE does the spring attach?

The spring baffles me, because if I hook it to an open hole on the governor arm, the spring basically runs between the 2 attach points of the rigid link....I don't see how a spring is affective at all. Unless the very slight offset between the upper attach hole and the middle smaller hole OR larger lower hole actually make the spring effective, but I guess the spring is there for a reason.

The other question regards the governor shaft and adjustment. I'd like to just remove the arm to change the top link hole position without removing the carb. The post I took this pic from said I can just loosen bolt B, slide the arm off, change link position, then put arm back on and while turning shaft A CW fully, rotate arm CCW fully (carb butterfly full open), then tighten bolt B. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

Re: YS828 governor linkage

Old_fart
Forgot the lower image:

Re: YS828 governor linkage

cpchristee
Old_fart wrote
I just re-cleaned the carb on my 828 after sitting for 2 yrs, and it runs great now EXCEPT UNDER LOAD.

Can someone please confirm it should go to the top hole like the image shows, and also WHERE does the spring attach?

The other question regards the governor shaft and adjustment. I'd like to just remove the arm to change the top link hole position without removing the carb.
I confirmed today on my 828 that both the linkage rod and the spring attach through the UPPER hole.  The function of the spring is to keep slack out of the linkage clearance holes.

I prefer to leave governor adjustments alone if I can possibly manage it.  The procedure you copy seems correct in theory but I haven't done it on a Yamaha.