YS624 - Wisconsin-Robins engine?

12

YS624 - Wisconsin-Robins engine?

AaronT102
Just acquired an 88 YS624.  Love the machine, runs like a tank.   I was told by the person I bought it from that the engine was made by Wisconsin-Robins.   Is this correct?   The guy I bought it from owns a small engine business.

Thanks

Re: YS624 - Wisconsin-Robins engine?

YamahaGenuineParts.com
Administrator
I have to tell you that your engine is 100% Yamaha

Re: YS624 - Wisconsin-Robins engine?

Underdog
I'm sure our engines are genuine. No doubt about it. But take a really close look at a similiar vintage WISCONSIN-ROBIN and you might be surprised.  I know that I was.  The parent company is listed as Fuji Heavy Machinery.  The same company that produces and distributes snowblowers in Japan.

Re: YS624 - Wisconsin-Robins engine?

akjdman
I've been working on small engines for 30 years. The only engine that comes close is kobota. The yamaha snowblower is driven by the camshaft. And it turns 1/2 the speed and engine runs counterclockwise.

Re: YS624 - Wisconsin-Robins engine?

Underdog
Its a shame there's not a motor available to repower a YS blower.  Do other motors (like Honda, Kawasaki, Briggs, Tecumseh, Yanmar) all have shafts that rotate the wrong way?  Are there any replacement engines that will repower a Yamaha snowblower?
As I stand facing the motor shaft the rotation of my Kawasaki 300D engine is counter clockwise. The rotation for the briggs on my leaf blower is counter clock wise as I stand in front of the shaft.
Is there any motor that can be used?  What about a newer yamaha motor off of a compressor?  There are lots of those motors floating around with low hours on them.

Re: YS624 - Wisconsin-Robins engine?

Underdog
Is this why the output shaft is so far off to the right (as you face the output shaft)?  Do other motors use the "cam shaft" for the power output shaft?

If you look at the shaft it does turn counterclockwise. It just turns only 1850 rpms the crankshaft turns at 3900 rpms. All the engines I've seen that drive off the camshaft the shaft is to small & to short. To use a normal engine you would have to change pulleys & belts to slow down the speed or find a engine with a 2 to 1 gear reduction . I've seen 3 to 1 & 4 to 1. I haven't seen a 2 to 1 before but I haven't seen it all .  Has any one heard If yamaha ever going to  brang back the snowblower or not. I wish that they would or some other company buy the rights & pattens to build them. Up here in alaska it snow alot in valdez & they love the yamaha alot. You just can't compare a yamaha snowblowers to other snowblowers.

Re: YS624 - Wisconsin-Robins engine?

Underdog
I do find it odd that Yamaha would make an motor that ran exclusively on this one piece of equipment. Not that other manufacturers have not done this. But from a business sense it does not seem to make a lot of sense.  Honda makes their GX line of motors that are almost interchangeble from snowblowers and lawn mowers to pressure washers, compressors and generators.  When Yamaha was trying to compete in this same market were they manufacturing a motor with only one application?  Are the old Yamaha generators cam shaft driven?

Re: YS624 - Wisconsin-Robins engine?

akjdman
HEY UNDERDOG THAT GENERATOR EF2000 ENGINE I BELEIVE IT MITE WORK ON A YS624 . THE BORE & STOKE ON THE EF2000 IS 65X54 THE YS624 IS 69X54 . THE EF2000 ENGINE IS A LITTLE SMALLER IN SIZE .YOU WOULD HAVE TO PUT THE CAMSHAFT & CRANKSHAFT ,SIDE COVER & CDI COIL OFF THE YS624 ENGINE.SAY IF YOU TRY THIS & IT WORKS LET ME KNOW. I THINK IT MAKE IT A 5 HP ?

Re: YS624 - Wisconsin-Robins engine?

Underdog
This generator motor is 11 hp and has only a few hours on it. I have never been able to figure out how to use motors like these to repower the snowblower.

Re: YS624 - Wisconsin-Robins engine?

akjdman
 HI underdog this last engine what size genset did it come off of it looks about same frame as a ys828t. let me know I can look up the spec's. The first one looked like a ef2000 witch has a 5 hp .

Re: YS624 - Wisconsin-Robins engine?

Underdog
This post was updated on .
This 10-11hp? Yamaha is the one I would really like to use (its barely been used, came off a generator) The only thing with these generator engines is the they all have tapered shafts. The Model number is MZ300:
Displacement 301cc
Max. horsepower 7.4kw(10.0ps) / 4,000rpm
Rated horsepower 5.8kw(7.9ps) / 3,600rpm
Max. torque 19.6N-m / 2,500rpm

Re: YS624 - Wisconsin-Robins engine?

Underdog
Would this motor work as a replacement?  Its rated at 10hp.  This newer Yamaha MZ300R has built in gear reduction and is available with a longer shaft.
Max. horsepower 7.4kw(10.0ps) / 2,000rpm
Rated horsepower 5.8kw(7.9ps) / 1,800rpm
Max. torque 39.2N-m / 1,250rpm

Re: YS624 - Wisconsin-Robins engine?

Underdog
There is more information on this replacement engine here:
https://www.dixiesales.com/ipl/733/MZ_MG(E)2005%20Engine%20Specs.pdf
(I'm worried that it might be a clockwise rotation with the gear reduction)

Re: YS624 - Wisconsin-Robins engine?

akjdman
HEY UNDERDOG THIS GEAR REDUCTION UNIT MITE WORK . IT LOOKS LIKE IT RUNS AT 2000 RPMS WITCH WAY DOES IT ROTATE LOOKING AT SHAFT END ?

Re: YS624 - Wisconsin-Robins engine?

Underdog
Clockwise

hey underdog dubble check rotation it looks like by the pictures it mite be counter clockwise. by the way what size snowblower are you dealing with and what happened to the old engine.

Underdog
what length is the shaft supposed to be?

Re: YS624 - Wisconsin-Robins engine?

akjdman
SAY UNDERDOG THE SHAFT ON A YS624 IS 20 MM X 45 MM SIDE OF CRANKCASE TO END OF SHAFT IS   55 MM
12