YS624 Plastic fuel tank seam repair

cpchriste
My tank is leaking where the rear seam has opened up over a 4" length.  I'm planning to apply this polysulfide compound:  www.skygeek.com/flamemaster-cs3204b1-2-3-5-fuel-tank-sealant-3-5-oz.html
to the outside of the seam after cleaning, sanding and drying the tank.  I may also apply a vacuum to the tank to try to draw the sealant into the seam.  I can use an inspection camera to see whether the sealant is getting into the tank.

Any experience doing this type of repair?  Comments as to other methods or compounds? Assessment of future durability?

Re: YS624 Plastic fuel tank seam repair

yshslover
You can repair it by just using a soldering iron.
Drain that tank and try to get all the vapors off, after it is dry, use the soldering iron and melt the parts together, it should seal up very good.
There are a several youtube videos on how to do it, here is one......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRCMIDILfEI

Re: YS624 Plastic fuel tank seam repair

cpchriste
Thanks for your response and the video.  I’ve attempted the welding process on a Tecumseh fuel tank; it didn’t go well for me.  Do you know what the Yamaha tank is made from so I can get the correct filler rod?  Do you know how the joint is constructed – I’m concerned there may be a gasket inside there made of another material.
Bottom line is I’m hesitant to use a potentially destructive method on such an expensive part.

Re: YS624 Plastic fuel tank seam repair

yshslover
Unfortunately I do not know what plastic type it is made out of but I have two leaky fuel tanks that will need repairs. When I repair them I will post a thread as on how it went.
I think I will try the soldering repair first, if it does not go well, I can use other methods, but I am confident that it will work.
The way I see it is "it is broken anyways and may need replacement if repairs don't work".

I'd guess it's ABS.  Here's one source of a close blue match.  www.amazon.com/HATCHBOX-3D-ABS-1KG1-75-BLU-Filament-Dimensional/dp/B00J0H3PG0

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 3:56 PM, yshslover [via Yamaha Snowblower Fan Club] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Unfortunately I do not know what plastic type it is made out of but I have two leaky fuel tanks that will need repairs. When I repair them I will post a thread as on how it went.
I think I will try the soldering repair first, if it does not go well, I can use other methods, but I am confident that it will work.
The way I see it is "it is broken anyways and may need replacement if repairs don't work".

http://yamaha-snowblower-fan-club.10963.n7.nabble.com/YS624-Plastic-fuel-tank-seam-repair-tp3960p3963.html
To unsubscribe from YS624 Plastic fuel tank seam repair, click here.
NAML

Re: YS624 Plastic fuel tank seam repair

yshslover
You can always spray paint the whole tank after the repair is been done.

Re: YS624 Plastic fuel tank seam repair

cpchriste
That's another thing I can't make work.  The fuel inside a plastic container seems to migrate through and blister the paint layer off.  Special paint or primer?

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 4:54 PM, yshslover [via Yamaha Snowblower Fan Club] <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can always spray paint the whole tank after the repair is been done.

http://yamaha-snowblower-fan-club.10963.n7.nabble.com/YS624-Plastic-fuel-tank-seam-repair-tp3960p3965.html
To unsubscribe from YS624 Plastic fuel tank seam repair, click here.
NAML

Re: YS624 Plastic fuel tank seam repair

Warren
Careful about gas vapors if you apply vacuum.

The polysulfide is taking forever to arrive.  I also noticed it mixes to a putty, which is not what I expected, so I changed course.  I've installed Yamabond 4 in the open seam using a syringe and large needle.  Yamabond has always been good to me but this application may be too much for it, we'll see.

Re: YS624 Plastic fuel tank seam repair

cpchriste
Didn't quite work.
Developed a small weep over about 2" of seam after being submerged in fuel a couple hours.  While excavating that section I found it hadn't yet cured despite 24 hours elapsed time.  I'll try again and give it some extra heat and more time.  Using a two-part polysulfide would have avoided this cure problem.

Re: YS624 Plastic fuel tank seam repair

YS624t
  Hello Gentlemen
      I live in Mass and I managed to by A YS 6/24T and a YS8/28T.  I could use some help.  I also have just discovered my plastic tank is leaking at the seam.
      I am going to remove the tank.  I am looking for advice on the best way to fix it
       Thanks for any help
          Dan D
Owner of YS8/28T & YS6/24T