YS 828 Transmission type?

Buffalo Snow
Hello all - just picked up a decent looking YS828. I didnt pay much for it so figured I would try getting this going. Problem is when I start it and try to put it in gear it doesn't move at all. It actually moves better while in neutral than when in a selected gear. Can anyone shed light on what type of gearbox/transmission this has? Is it a friction plate setup or is it some sort of gearbox?

Added info -- when I start it the augers spin freely. The guy I bought it from said he replaced some of the belts but didnt have the exact size needed. Not sure if this plays a role in the transmission issue I am dealing with.

I have yet to open the machine up so I figured I would ask the community here before doing so. Other than sourcing parts, if its a friction plate setup I can probably get her going. If its something more serious I dont know if I will be dealing with it. Machine is in good shape so would like to give it a shot.

Any pointers/help/opinions welcome! Thx.

Re: YS 828 Transmission type?

YamahaGenuineParts.com
Administrator
Hey,
I was talking to you on the phone but I don't know what happened to my notes with your phone number on it.
I went threw and figured out it is friction drive. there is a friction wheel and belts that usually fixes most peoples issue.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/yamahagenuineparts/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=yamahaope&a=184&b=10&c=0&d=1900%20YS828TEC%20TRANSMISSION%201

that will show you friction plate (#11) and then the belts.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/yamahagenuineparts/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=yamahaope&a=184&b=10&c=0&d=1900%20YS828TEC%20TRANSMISSION%201

hopefully that helps you out a little bit !

Re: YS 828 Transmission type?

Buffalo Snow
It was nice speaking with you and thank you very much for the info, very helpful! As I mentioned to you I have yet to open the back of the machine but plan on that in next week or so. Hopefully everything else looks OK and the belts are the only issue. You will probably be hearing from me soon about getting those belts ordered.
Maybe I should come visit you guys, take advantage of the exchange rate & pickup a new SRX sled:)
Thank you for the help.