Tracks

Kyle
Anywhere I can get a track for a ys624?????  Just bought one and now it seems near impossible to find a track for it.

Re: Tracks

nben
Plenty of discussion on here about their unavailability.  I had my Yamaha side by side with a hydro era Honda a few weeks ago.  After a quick look they appear to be the same (or very close to) pitch on the inside lugs/drive sprocket.  The wheel diameter is very close, but they are a little off measured between the apex of each wheel.  There might be enough adjustment in the tensioning mechansim to make up the difference.  If I remember correctly, my Yamaha measured slightly longer than the Honda, but I might have that backwards so don't quote me. The Yamaha tracks are much thicker too but the width is close.  I'm not sure if anyone has tried a Honda track or not, or if the Honda tracks differ between hydro and gear models.  Maybe this has been tried......

I have a track on mine that is pretty tired.  I plan to run it as long as I can but I may pull my fathers track from one of his Honda blowers to get a better comparison.  The Yamaha tracks seem hard to come by used (I've been watching) and the aftermarket sources seem to have dried up.

Re: Tracks

tuner em
I remember seeing a Yamaha document (service bulletin or press release) stating that Yamaha offers replacement tracks.  The tracks on the new 2010-2012 snowblower fit the older machines.  The thread profile is different but the length and pitch are the same.  The older tracks have been replaced and the  old number is likely obsolete.

US dealers may not have this info.  The parts list (and microfiche) would only list the older track number.  If you can't find the new tracks in the US try a Canadian Yamaha Power Equipment dealer and ask for tracks from a new machine.

I wish I'd kept a copy of that document.

Here's a link to the 2013 YT624E

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?model=3535&class=92&group=G|&LANG=en

Re: Tracks

Kyle
Here's a pricey fix (or better know as a beat it 'n' fix it repair job) using a Honda Track.

You would think that a track set up would be pretty standard for Yamaha.  Interesting concept that the new Yamaha tracks would fit the old machines.

The tracks would require that you replace the drive cogs and idler wheels for the tracks. The tracks are approximately 5" wide, the drive cogs and idler wheels have an 8 1/2" outside diameter, and both wheels have a 20mm bore and are held in place with a 5mm pin. When the wheels are installed in the tracks on the snowblower, and the track is tensioned properly, the front and rear axle measure approximately 10" center to center.

So you have it, pricing for the three parts I mentioned are below.

Track: $149.99 (each)
Drive cog: $72.99 (each)
Track idler wheel: $67.44 (includes required center bushing and 2 washwers, complete single wheel)

Re: Tracks

jmbeam
Some guy just offered to sell his tracks for $150. I dont need any at this time.

Re: Tracks

nben
So I had some time today and gave it a try.  Tracks from a Honda 1132 are a bit too long.  Even with the track adjuster pulled all the way up, the Honda tracks were nor near tight enough.  The Honda tracks are almost the exact same outside diamter as the Yamaha tracks but since the Yamaha tracks are thicker, they have a smaller inside diameter.

The Honda wheels are slightly larger in diameter.  They could be made to fit the Yamaha with a little work but as they are they will not fit.  The driver wheel's cogs hit on the Yamaha slide bar and height adjuster mechanism.  The idler wheel has a larger diameter center hole.  Also, since the wheels are taller, the bucket on the Yamaha blower would be at a different height.

My gut feeling is that it would be easier to extend the track adjuster mechanism on the Yamaha blower to make up the extra adjustment needed to compensate for the longer Honda track.  Anyone handy with a welder should be able to do this much cheaper than buying the Honda wheels and trying to cobble them onto a Yamaha blower.

Anyone priced out the Yamaha tracks off the new models from Canada yet?  Curious to see the comparison to the Honda tracks in US funds.  Honda tracks can be had for about $135 each new.

Re: Tracks

h8snow
Guess this is how equipment comes to the end of its service life no support from the manufacture parts, manuals, etc. I have a YS624-W that using oil needs the engine gone thru first oversize piston, rings no big deal but cant buy the parts not available. Really a shame rest of blower is in perfect condition no rust would be worth repairing the engine if i could get the parts. Will be posting to Craigslist shame.

Re: Tracks

Kyle
Yes this is FRUSTRATING!!!!!!  My gas side track was softening up and after my last use it has split.  I found a guy who had a pair for sale, one was soft but the other like new.  He checked the internet to see what he should charge me and once he realized how rare they are, he has decided to keep them, and I've had 2 offers to sell mine machine and man I do not want to sell.   SOOOOO CLOSE!!!!

Re: Tracks

nben
anyone price out the new yamaha tracks yet?

Re: Tracks

Mark78
I sent an email to our local yamaha dealer (I'm in Sweden) and they confirmed that the tracks from the new yt-660 models will fit my old ys-624T.

And they "only" wanted 1436:- SEK per track
That's around $205 per track , but we have fairly high taxes so they are probably closer to $160-180 in other parts of the world.

I still consider it good news that Yamaha decided to use the same type of track, I might get another 20 years out of my ys-624 :)

/Markus

Re: Tracks

nben
That's great news!  Anyone have a US or Canadian lead?  The Honda tracks can be had new for around $135 or so if you shop, so that would make the Yamaha part about the same $, give or take.

It's still a lot cheaper than a new blower!

Re: Tracks

Henke
Someone who´s tried fitting the track from the yt-660 yet?

best regards / Henrik,

Örnsköldsvik - Sweden

Re: Tracks

Henke
Seems on the looks of it like the swedish YT660E and YT660EDJ is the same as the canadian YT624E.
Ian

Re: Tracks

Ian
I have a plastic tank ys-624te. Tracks are cracked as usual. My father has a new ys1032j so I pulled a track off it and tried it. It fits the cog perfect, the track is just a little wider its around 5" but clears everything fine, the only problem is the length. The tensioner won't take out the slack so it sounds like they will need the same modification as the Honda hydro tracks.