Shifting trouble, partly solved, anyone else with the same problem?

Shifting trouble, partly solved, anyone else with the same problem?

Doublenn
I've had trouble shifting between 1st and 2nd on my 828, only sometimes but annoying. It was the reason the blower was gifted to me. Turns out the shifter wasn't adjusted well. It wasn't pulling the pin back far enough between gears, and it worried the pin loose back and forth over time as it dragged over the plate. I adjusted it so the pin backs off a bit and doesn't drag but it still misses because of how much it jiggles around now. To fix it I think I'll need to take that part right out and somehow secure the pin back in place, hopefully just flattening the rivet on the back again.

Has anyone else with shifting issues found this problem with the locating pin? What did you do to fix it?

Cheers

Re: Shifting trouble, partly solved, anyone else with the same problem?

giro
I was occasionally having problems going into 1st, and sometimes even 2nd.  Otherwise the machine was working fairly well, and this was enough that I would avoid shifting once it was working, even if that meant dragging it backwards when doing a couple side sections of the wood deck driveway.

I lubed everything up well, but it was still happening, and I could see the plunger wouldn't come out all the way.  I finally saw this guide you show in your picture, right at the very back inside of the machine.  I was able to adjust the nuts on the outside shifting controller just a little and get the alignment working.  The holes on mine are a little larger for the other gears, which looks normal and not from wear but it's hard to know for sure with this machine that is about to turn 32 years old.

My pin portion didn't have the damage shown in your picture.  But when adjusted right, especially if you file any problems on the edges, it should work.  This is just a secondary speed guide, and one could probably even remove it if needed since the handle based shift guide should keep things pretty consistent.

While this post is over a year old, I came here today to post about this hidden shift pin and guide since it was the source of my problem.  Not knowing about it, and how to fix my shift issues, was causing a lot of problems and nearly made me drop the Yamaha from our stable of snowblowers.