Is the YS624T or the YT624EJ a better machine?

Is the YS624T or the YT624EJ a better machine?

Bluebeast14
I have acquired a pristine condition track beast and am stoked about it. I have thoughts about upgrading it to a newer machine that would have a hydro transmission, electric DC ignition, and the electronic chute control. These three features would be handy but not 100% necessary. I am curious what others have to say about the differences and whether an upgrade would be worth the extra. The only item I've added is an LED light. I also changed both motor and worm gear fluids which both looked very clean. After a nice wash and wax job, this machine was in even better condition than I initially thought.

Re: Is the YS624T or the YT624EJ a better machine?

Doublenn
Looks great, why would you go spend a bunch of money if it's in such good shape? I'd just keep it going until you need a new one.

Re: Is the YS624T or the YT624EJ a better machine?

Blue4life
I owned both machines and here is my 2 cents:

Newer unit is more user friendly with hydro, electric chute rotation and bucket height control. Machine just looks sexy :)

However the older Ys blower offers more torque than the newer style engine I find IMHO and as a result they dont fall off in rpm in heavy load conditions.

I can do my driveway quicker with the older unit based on being able to maintain a steady ground speed in deeper snow. With the newer blower I have to work the hydro more and regulate forward speed based on engine rpm. Failure to do so can result in the engine stalling out. The hydro units do take some of the engine power to operate so suspect this is part of the reason the newer units can't maintain same ground speed as older units when under load.

The newer machines will blow the snow farther than the older style Ys due to higher impeller speed and chute design. If you do impeller mod on older YS machine and ensure belt is within spec you can get close to the YT for distance

Looks like you have a low hour Ys so dont be so quick to upgrade unless you want the newer design and ergonomics the Yt offers. Yamaha really builds amazing blowers and designed to last many years thus why so many of us still have Ys models :)

Re: Is the YS624T or the YT624EJ a better machine?

Lance
Thank you for the feedback; I appreciate the two cents. If I were to sell my machine, what would it be worth? I’ve seen many extremely rusty machines go for $750 bottom line. Currently one on eBay right now for that. The biggest upgrade I could see being nice would be the hydro and key ignition start.

Re: Is the YS624T or the YT624EJ a better machine?

Blue4life
Install proper skids back on machine to keep original and list for $1200 USD OBO.

In my region in Canada machine would sell between 1300 - 1500 based on what shape it appears to be in.

Hard to get over the $1500 Cdn as buyers start looking at price of new unit vs 30 year old (mint) blower.

I see used nice condition Ys624's selling for 800 to 1000 where I live but not condition of yours.

Cheers,