1985 YS624T Transmission Gear Case (drain hole?)

1985 YS624T Transmission Gear Case (drain hole?)

snowchuck
On the bottom side of the gear case is a round port (hole) without internal threads for a threaded drain plug. With a flashlight,  I can see the teeth of a gear when I look into this hole. Should this port be plugged after lubricating the gears thru it? Or is this meant to stay open (unplugged) ? If plugging this hole is required what type of plug is needed?

Re: 1985 YS624T Transmission Gear Case (drain hole?)

Blue4life
If you can see the gears I can only assume your looking through the fill/drain hole and you will need to find a plug and seal once you add proper amount of fluid back into the housing assembly.

Following link will show you pic of plug and provide part number for search:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/yamahagenuineparts/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=yamahaope&a=177&b=16&c=0&d=1900%20YS624T%20AUGER%20DRIVE

Re: 1985 YS624T Transmission Gear Case (drain hole?)

snowchuck
Thank You for replying. I am looking at the drain hole in the transmission gear case (part #7KA-46365-00-00), there does not appear to be a plug for this hole. There are no internal threads or lip for a plug to connect to. I did spray white lithium grease in to this hole and spun the track simultaneously and. The "loud" vibration noise has stopped. Again, should that hole be pugged? or is that a drain hole for condensation to drain out??????

Re: 1985 YS624T Transmission Gear Case (drain hole?)

Blue4life
My apologies I was thinking you were speaking to the auger housing gear box. I should have paid more attention when reading your original post.

The following link reflects the YS624T transmission.I am not seeing any part identified as well for this hole you reference. I see a hole on the case near gear part #38 if this what your referencing? I would also agree its a factory drain hole based on location shown.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/yamahagenuineparts/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=yamahaope&a=177&b=10&c=0&d=1900%20YS624T%20TRANSMISSION%201

Based on your analysis with the lithium grease it sounds like your gears are running dry inside the housing and why when you sprayed grease the noise temporarily went away (lubrication). The idler bushings inside the gear #31 may also be getting worn causing miss alignment of the gear teeth and creating some of the vibration and noise as well.

I would consider trying to get some additional high quality grease on the gears as a temporary measure see how the noise and vibration does following over the next few uses. If the vibration or noise quickly comes back I would next remove the housing for inspection and ensure the parts are within spec, Clean out all the old grease and repack and seal housing to the frame

Paul